Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Make Your Own Place


I love my iPhone. It is my most cherished possession, my life line and single greatest invention of my time. (excluding advancement in modern medicine and the DVR) When I received my iPhone it reminded me of the scene in "Lord of the Rings"when Galadriel (Cate Blanchett) gave Frodo the light of Earendil. She said to Frodo, "May it be a light for you in dark places when all other lights go out." It introduced me to a whole new world. I had music,books, movies and internet on the go. So thanks to this delightful piece of technology there will always be a special place in my heart for it's creator Steve Jobs.

It was in an interview, from 1985, I read today in Newsweek that I found inspiring and want to share with you. It was conducted just after Steve Jobs was asked to leave Apple, a company he co-founded then later returned to in 1996. The CEO at the time announced publicly that there was no longer a role for Steve at Apple.
Steve's response was this, I respect the direction that Apple is going in. But for me personally, you know, I want to make things. And if there's no place for me to make things there, then I'll do what I did twice before. I'll make my own place.

And that ladies and gentleman is what stirred the coals in my fire. I thought I want to make things. I want to share my creation with the world.

Now I'm not saying I had a life changing revelation or anything but it did remind me that if I want to make an impact in the literary world I am going to have put myself on the map. When an agent tells me there is no place for me with thier agency I will move onto the next. I'm going to have to put in the time and the work, no one else can do that for me. I'll make my own place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Artist's Faeries kit by Lorie Davison