Monday, February 14, 2011

and introducing our special guest...Tracy Prince

My critique group recently had the privilege of having author Dr. Tracy Prince stop by and speak to us. Tracy talked with us about being a writer and shared some insight into the publishing world. Having her visit us was a joy as much as it was inspirational. I love listening to authors speak about their work and give helpful hints to us hopefuls still working toward publication. Tracy shared a lot with us but a couple things really stood out to me and I thought I would pass it along.

In her very words, "If you aim for nothing you'll get it."  That saying could not be more true. If we want something were going to have to aim high. So that means get your little hinny back to work, that book isn't going to write itself. Well wait till your done reading this post first.... Please....

Another thing that surprised me was, when pitching your book to an agent, have your pitch but also have a "two second zinger". Thanks for the heads up on that one. Now I can be prepared if some one tells me to sum up my book in one sentence instead of staring at them with my mouth agape. You never want to let an opportunity pass you by.

Her upcoming book "Portland's Goose Hollow" from the Images of America series will be released April 11th. This is a great series, it shares with us the rich history of our towns and very own neighborhood.  For more information  on Tracy and her upcoming release visit her Amazon page. Tracy will also be doing a reading at Powell's Books in Portland on April 15th, it is sure to be a good time.

 Also look for her name in future works, she will have two more books released by the end of the year in addition to this one. I will keep you posted.

3 comments:

  1. Would like to talk with Dr. Prince about how she researched this book on Goose Hollow, because my grandfather was a businessman in that location from his arrival in Portland from Russia ( he was a German), in appx. 1888 until he moved the business to S.W. Front St. where he serviced James Beard's mother's hotel, then by 1920 to S.E. Portland where the two bldgs. still survive today. Since the 1880's his family, now in the hundreds, have lived in Portland. I have numerous photos, equipment and other articles of his business from the beginning. Of course, I wonder how she missed this long association with Goose Hollow and the Portland area. There are wonderful and sad stories to tell about his business there, all documented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carole,
    Sounds like you would have some intersting stories to share.
    Tracy will be speaking at Powells Books on April 15.
    You can also email me (kristonmjohnson@gmail.com) your email address and I could forward it to her. Or you can send her a message via Twitter. Her user name is @TracyJPrince.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carole,
    Glad to hear from you. I had email announcements go out to several neighborhoods, and it was mentioned in a newspaper that I was looking for people to interview. I wish you had seen one of those announcements and wish we had met because it sounds like you've got lots of stories to tell. I've still got several research projects on Goose Hollow, so would love to meet up. Please email kristonmjohnson@gmail.com and she will forward it to me.
    Take care
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Artist's Faeries kit by Lorie Davison