Monday, January 30, 2012

Book Recommendation...Anathema

Anathema (Cloud Prophet Trilogy #1) by Megg Jensen

Published February 5th 2011
206 pages

Blurb

Forget prophecy. Make your own destiny. 

Sheltered from the outside world with no hope for escape, slave girl Reychel dreads her fifteenth birthday - when her master’s symbol is burned on the back of her bald scalp. Her best friend disappears the night before, leaving her to face the branding ceremony alone. She soon discovers nothing is as it seems when people desperate for freedom beg for Reychel's help. 

Can Reychel learn to believe in herself?


The book is so much more that what we read from the description and Anathema has got to be one of my most pleasant surprises in the last year.  This book has been on my Kindle for a very long time and I finally got around to reading it. 


I liked the setting. It is a fantasy but I would not consider it high fantasy or epic but fantasy all the same. Reychel is a strong girl who stands up for what is right no matter what the cost. At one point I wanted to scream "No, don't do that! It's never gonna work!" But that is the point right? Raising the stakes to keep us hooked? It worked. I have the feeling this  is setting us up for a deeper story to come.


It is a fairly quick read but very entertaining. The characters are great and I am glad I found this gem of a book. I cannot wait to continue reading the rest of the trilogy. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Artist's Faeries kit by Lorie Davison